Sunday, September 1, 2013

Colorful Conversation

Earlier this summer we enjoyed a tasty local meal - chicken salad on fresh greens with cucumbers.  In Dietitian school I learned that plates should be colorful - reds, blues, greens, purples, oranges - these make a plate appealing to the eye.  As my food production instructor repeatedly told our class, "the eye eats first."  So, when I looked at my rich local plate, with lackluster color, I told Chris I'd missed the mark.  "Well, we'll have colorful conversation then," Chris replied.  Aha, of course! 
 

The church we attend shares produce on their produce sharing table.  The table provided over half of the meal pictured by offering us the greens and the cucumber.  We purchased the chicken from a local farmer.  A produce sharing table is a great way to share garden excess with others as well as pick up items you are lacking or would like to try.  It's just another way that gardening can build the health of your local community.  Where could you introduce a produce sharing table among interested individuals?



No comments:

Post a Comment