Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just in from Hawaii - Part 5: A living paint by number piece of artwork.


While this blog focuses mainly on foods, today's post is actually about a tree that grows in Hawaii.  I wanted to share this tree with you because I have never seen anything like it.  Those of you who travel extensively may not be in as much awe as I was over this tree...but considering I've been to South America, Italy, France, Austria, England and many islands yet haven't had the feeling I felt when I saw this tree, I decided to share.


According to Chris this beautiful plant is called a paper tree, and its appearance is incredibly unique, like something off a paint by number set.  After a little internet research, I think this is actually a Rainbow Eucalptus tree.  It gets its painted effect by the aging of the bark, which is "exfoliated" to reveal new colors beneath it.  The young bark is green, and as it ages it turns to darker green, bluish, purplish, pink-orange and finally a dark brown maroon before it is exfoliated and begins the process again.  

Isn't nature just amazing?  

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I thought the second photo was a painting of the tree at an odd angle. That's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Debra.

    I've gotten emails about the beauty of this tree already as well so I'm glad I posted the pics. If you double click on any of the images, you'll get a blown up view - WOW! So beautiful! Wonder if these would thrive in Kansas...doubting, but that would be a treat.

    ReplyDelete