C O N N E C T I O N
Part of supporting local foods includes getting involved and connected to organizations supporting the movement. The internet has a plethora of sources, here are some I use:
- FRESH the movie listserv - Provides updates on political events related to foods (pesticides, Genetic Modification, etc.) and creates online petitions for the government about controversial food related practices.
- Savor the Season: Eating by the Calendar in Kansas highlights seasonal produce, includes recipes, and discusses food related issues. They are on facebook.
- The Kansas Rural Center is a "non-profit organization that promotes the long-term health of the land and its people through research, education, and advocacy. The KRC cultivates grassroots support for public policies that encourage family farming and stewardship of soil and water." They are also on facebook.
- Slow Food International "was founded to counteract fast food and fast life." Slow Food USA focus on our country and Slow Food Wichita/Flint Hills is committed to slowing down the local food culture. Their group meals focus on local, organic foods. Announcements and updates can be found on facebook.
- The Food, Inc. website includes information about food related issues and an area to sign petitions to support healthy foods.
Local Foods List Update: I sent out the most recent food list on Tuesday. Email me if you would like to receive a copy.