Saturday, December 20, 2014

A little Red at Christmastime.

A little Red at Christmastime.

Silence.  Standing outside taking in a blanket of newly fallen snow.   Silence.  Little ones asleep in their warm beds.  Silence.  My blog while I grow babies into toddlers and then kids.  And so now, in the season of frenzy, finally able to carve out time, I'm sharing with you my passion.

Red Cherries...picked from a local tree, pitted by three generations, and enjoyed by many.

In July I had plenty of help harvesting the sweet (okay, sour) goodness.  Tutus are a mandatory part of the cherry-picking uniform.  Spilled bowls of cherries are also part of the deal.  And little girls sharing time with their Mama is the best part in my memory.


No fancy cherry pitter needed, chopsticks worked perfectly.  Grandma, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter.  Chatting.  Laughing.  Silent.  Connecting and making more memories.  To me, memories are a special part of growing, harvesting, purchasing, preparing, sharing, and enjoying local eating.


And finally, the "fruit" of our labor.  "Granny" is one of the best pie makers I know and just happened to be vising when the cherries were ripe.  I love when the stars align just so!




11 comments:

  1. I meant to comment on this two weeks ago, and then just forgot in the swamp of holiday doings. My apologies! Anyway, a wonderful post here--see the red cherries fresh in the midst of grey December days was a delight, and seeing you together with your family turning that freshness into a holiday memory was just beautiful. "To me, memories are a special part of growing, harvesting, purchasing, preparing, sharing, and enjoying local eating"--I couldn't agree more! Happy new year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Russell. Hope you had a wonderful holiday. I'm happy you agree with what I said in this post - there are so many special memories to make around food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    My family and I are moving to Wichita in two months, and I'm been desperately trying to research as many places to try out once we are there. It's for that reason I am so happy that I stumbled across your blog - I had no idea Wichita had cherry trees!

    As an avid baker I cannot wait to pick my own fresh cherries and then bake with the whole family. Not to mention, I'm also thrilled that this will keep my kids entertained for hours on end!

    Thank you for sharing this special moment with us, I'll definitely be back to read what other Wichita moments you have to share.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie - Thanks for your comment and I hope you enjoy your time living in Wichita. These cherry trees were actually in a friend's yard about an hour from Wichita. But, cherry trees do grow here and I hope you are able to find some - or plant a tree of your own and enjoy the produce from it (that's what we just did!).

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see you out and about with the beautiful cherries - such a great way to share fresh fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it is a great way and was so fun for my littles to enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate.If you are interested in taking a loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best services ever.Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    Your Name:...............
    Your Country:...............
    Your Occupation:...............
    Loan Amount Needed:...............
    Loan Duration...............
    Monthly Income:...............
    Your Telephone Number:.....................
    Business Plan/Use Of Your Loan:...............
    Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i am glad to read your article.

    moving services az

    ReplyDelete
  7. Start your own Online Food Delivery Services with our Robust Website & App Solutions ₹34K. Start your own Online Kitchen, Food delivery Services with our on-demand Food delivery Swiggy Clone app

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exciting, nevertheless it is vital for you to visit this specific url: vietnamese food delivery singapore

    ReplyDelete