The campaign menu consisted of:
1. Aqua Fresca (Two flavors of water infused with local peaches, cucumber and herbs from local gardens)
2. Bean dip and Lavosch Crackers (Made with pinto beans and wheat from a Kansas farmer)
3. Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil H'orderves (Tomato and basil from local gardens, mozzarella made with fresh milk from a dairy in Hesston)
Farthest distance traveled: 37 miles (for the milk)
A typical menu may consist of:
1. Aqua Fresca (Peaches from Somewhere, USA and cucumbers from Mexico)
2. Hummus and pita (Made with garbanzo beans from the Mediterranean and what from ???)
3. Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil H'orderves (All items from Somewhere, USA)
Farthest distance traveled: 6013 miles* (if the beans came from Athens, but it's hard to know for sure)
I didn't get distances for all items involved, due to lack of information on the label. It's difficult to figure out where a food comes from unless you know the producer of the food, and we all know how to do that, right?
Who is this candidate that supports local production of food? Find out in my next post...
*Distance is the theoretical air distance